Highway Department Motor Equipment Operator
The work involves responsibility for the safe and efficient operation and care of moderately complex motor equipment in towns and villages. The employee is responsible for the routine maintenance of their vehicles and when not driving, do light to heavy physical labor, such as raking, shoveling, carpentry, masonry, and mechanics. Does related work as required. Work is performed under supervision, except for the more routine repetitive assignments. Must be available for snowplowing, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, through the winter months.
- Will operate a dump truck, loader, backhoe, flatbed truck and plow wing in connection with the removal of snow, street cleaning and transportation of various types of materials, tools, equipment and supplies in a safe and lawful manner.
- Will perform a variety of manual labor tasks, such as cleaning culverts, installing storm sewers, shoveling snow, painting, road maintenance work; load and unload trucks.
- Will check the working condition of equipment; will assist and perform routine service and maintenance; assist with emergency repairs and with general repairs as necessary.
- Is able to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- May operate bulldozer, grader, power shovel, roller or other heavy equipment on assignment.
- Is in physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position
- Possess a clean, valid, NYS Class A or B commercial driver’s license without restrictions
- Experience drivers with a CDL License Class A or B with Manual Transmission
- Must take, and pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol screen
This job will entail many tasks. The employee must do many physical tasks, such as shoveling snow, raking, lifting, carpentry work, painting and some mechanics. Along with the help in the operation of snow plows, sweepers, and other heavy and motor equipment. May operate power driven equipment such as lawn mowers, snow blowers, and small tractors. The maintenance of the town properties by mowing grass, trimming trees and concrete work. Repair and the maintenance of a variety of tools and equipment.
- Must have a clean New York State driver’s license.
- Must take pre-employment drug and alcohol screening.
- Must be willing to work long hours in the winter season; up to 7 days per week 24 Hours a Day, winter months (November-March).
- Ability to understand and follow verbal instructions.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor.
- Ability to use a variety of hand & power tools & motorized equipment.
- Perform maintenance on all town properties.
- Operate a snow plow wing.