|National Grid Storm Information - November|
Notices and Alerts
With forecasts calling for potentially damaging wind gusts and flooding along the shorelines of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario later today, Wednesday, Nov. 27, and overnight into tomorrow, Thursday, Nov. 28 National Grid is preparing line, service and tree workers to respond if the weather impacts electricity service. In Central New York we have scheduled additional crew coverage for Wednesday evening and on Thursday, the Thanksgiving holiday.
We will continue to assess our plans and inform you if there are any updates. Please feel free to contact your National Grid representative should the anticipated windstorm impact your service.
In addition, the company is providing customers with the following reminders to help keep safety a priority during the busy Thanksgiving week:
Electricity & Generator Safety
- If a power outage occurs, customers can notify National Grid online to expedite restoration.
- Never touch downed power lines; always assume they are carrying live electricity. Downed lines should immediately be reported to National Grid at 1-800-867-5222 or by calling 911.
- Generators used to supply power during an outage must be operated outdoors to prevent the buildup of deadly carbon monoxide. Before operating a generator, be sure to disconnect from National Grid’s system by shutting off the main breaker, located in the electric service panel. Failure to do this could endanger our crews and your neighbors.
- Customers who depend on electrically powered life support equipment, such as a respirator, should register as a life support customer by calling National Grid at 1-800-642-4272. (In a medical emergency, always dial 911.)
- Keep a number of working flashlights and an extra supply of batteries in your home and be sure to charge all electronic devices before the storm.
- Please use caution when driving near emergency responders and crews restoring power.
- Be sure to check on elderly family members, neighbors and others who may need assistance during an outage.
Stay informed and connected
- Customers with active electricity accounts who text ‘REG’ to 64743 can have personalized alerts sent to them via text, email or phone call when we detect an outage on their properties. Customers also can text ‘OUT’ to 64743 to report an outage.
- For real-time power outage information, online outage reporting, and in-depth storm safety information, visit National Grid’s Outage Central website. Customers who create an online profile also can sign up for email alerts.
- Visit our website: www.nationalgridus.com, follow us on Twitter and friend us on Facebook.