Fiddlers Green was a famous picnic area where friends and families gathered, conveniently situated near the heart of the community on Solvay Road just off of North Street in Jamesville. Dr. Bradford W. Sherwood told that, "even before the Civil War it was a favorite picnic place, always with a fiddler to lead the dancing, and so got its name.”
The popular picnic spot was sold by the Dunlop family to the Syracuse Suburban Railroad in 1903 and was soon renamed to Dunlop Park, however, Fiddlers Green Park had been used so long that the renaming was soon forgotten. Over the years, the space remained in private hands and a modern day transformation slowly ensued with overgrown greenery, old car parts, and broken bottles taking over.
In January 1999, motivated residents began taking steps to reclaim the lost 12 acres as a community asset for future generations to enjoy. This grassroots group spearheaded the initiative, created a vision, initiated outreach, and called themselves the Fiddlers Green Park Association. In 2007, after seven years of presentations, meetings, and a petition-Fiddlers Green Park was reborn.
Today, the park has reverted back to its days of glory with the addition of new lands, trails, and a small parking area. Funding has been requested to hire a professional consultant to assist with providing a report detailing the current condition and assessment of the current infrastructure along with recommendations of future amenities such as adding a footbridge over the creek, new trails, parking, education center, restrooms, an information kiosk, and more. The grant will also assist with necessary costs such as lead and asbestos testing and abatement, archeology testing, and ADA compliance. Award selections will be made late summer early fall of 2018.
Fiddlers Green Park Association